Wednesday, May 23, 2012

...simplicity

...joy is found in the simple things of life and yet we complicate our lives so much that we truly miss out on what brings true joy. I crave simplicity. I long for it daily when I am at home in the states, and I'm getting to live it to the fullest here (in Peru)and that puts the biggest smile on my face. From the simplicity of meals, to the simplicity of my room and bathroom, to the simplicity of clothing...the simplicity of using a broom and then putting a mop cover over it to have a mop (it's a 2 in 1)...life here is simple and I'm eating up every minute of it! One of my greatest joys so far has been meal time. For breakfast I have shared some precious mornings over coffee with TKay...just the 2 of us sharing our hearts and praying together...our afternoon meal has been withthe entire family here, and at the end of it the kids (and adults too) have been challenged with memorizing Jeremiah 29:11 in English and Spanish...if you know my story of this journey you will find it no coincidence that that's the verse! There has been so much laughter and joy during that time. Tonight it was so precious to see the older children helping the newer younger girls learn the verses too! Yesterday at lunch it was precious to see the eyes light up when they knew there would be dessert (which happened to be Dave's favorite so I think his eyes were the biggest!) When you walk in the door for any meal the children light up and greet you as if they haven't seen you in a long while...do you know how loved and valued that makes one feel? To be greeted everytime you come into their presence...words can't describe! As I was on my hands and knees tonight waxing a floor that will be my "home" for the next couple of months I found myself overcome with a heart so full. I think part of it stems from living by myself and eating several meals alone...it feels so good to share these meals with the family here. To hear the laughter and see the smiles on their faces...it's incredible! I want to bottle it all up! So I want to challenge all that are readin this...slow your lives down...make at least one meal time a day a priority for a sacred time with those you love...put petty things aside and greet one another in a way that makes them feel valued and loved...a hug, a kiss...whatever that looks like for you...turn the tv and radio off, the sound of laughter is much more rewarding...commit to using meal time to invest in something eternal like memorizing a verse together as a family...share highs and lows of your day...communicate, know where your loved ones are at in their journey so you can know how to encourage them...enjoy the simplicity of a shared meal...even if that looks like fast food...sit together around a table and thank God for the gift of family...You will never regret the time you spend around that table making memories...I know I won't forget the meals I have shared here...that's for sure!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love hearing what God is already showing you ! Reading your blog this morning has given me a new perspective on my day ....Thank you !! Love ,and prayers ! Anna .

lisa guier said...

thanks for sharing that. It is so hard to take the simple life home and stick to it . Thanks for your card. I feel like I've totally ignored you and your trip to Peru. I have been thinking about you and praying for you. See you soon.

lisa guier said...

thanks for sharing that. It is so hard to take the simple life home and stick to it . Thanks for your card. I feel like I've totally ignored you and your trip to Peru. I have been thinking about you and praying for you. See you soon.

AiMeE jOnEs ;) said...

Thanks for sharing friend! That was one of my favorite things when I was there too! I loved eating with all the kids! There are just somethings about it that can not be described! I love that I feel like I am right there with you!

Unknown said...

Thank u amy! Praise God for all he is doing and showing you. Thx for the reminder to put our family time before unprofitable busyness. Love and prayers!! Kathy