Monday, May 21, 2012

...a little taste of heaven on earth

…as we pulled into Hannah's last night {or I guess I should say early this morning} one of the 1st things noticed was the size of some fruit trees that my team {last June} helped dig holes for…Jim even said, you won't believe the size of the fruit on them…he was right, when I saw them in the light this morning I was amazed. As I walked down memory lane {the name I am giving the long sidewalk here-if you've been here, you know what I am talking about} this morning I embraced it all…to see a place that has gone from "nothing" to something amazing and to know that there have been and are so many hands that have partnered with God to build it….it's truly humbling. As I looked at the trees that are now tall, strong and bearing GREAT fruit I am reminded that the Bible compares our lives as Followers of Christ to trees-fruit bearing trees. So many names come to my mind of people whose lives have started from just a small tree in the ground and now are growing into HUGE trees that are bearing much fruit for HIs Kingdom. I was able to spend some time with TKay this morning…it was very precious. As we sat there talking over coffee I felt my heart fill up with admiration and great respect for her and her husband. Jim and Tkay are TRUE EXAMPLES of what a modern day disciple of Christ looks like. The exemplify true sacrifice and surrender. They literally have left it all to follow after God's plan for their life. Their life here is so simple…an example of that is TKay's "kitchen" is a hot plate, a small fridge, a simple sink and her cabinet space is plastic shelves in a shower….they use what they have. I found myself CRAVING that simplicity as I washed her dishes in a small sink with trickling water. I don't say all this to make anyone feel guilty for what they have, I say all this to say simplicity is a beautiful peaceful thing. Simplicity is contentment. It's a taste of heaven on earth. It's something I truly believe God wants us all to experience and to invite into our lives. I'm embracing rest today, trying to mend from my pre-trip illness I always seem to get. {thank you for all the prayers!} Rest has been good. I woke up from a snooze to our afternoon meal with the children. Nothing compares to walking down 'memory lane' only to be bombarded by little ones saying…"hermana Amy!!!" and then to be smothered in hugs and kisses…another taste of heaven on earth. All the children made a welcome banner with their hand prints and wrote individual messages to Dave and I to welcome us…absolutely precious! I'm eating it all up! {they want to do a dance for us after dinner tonight…can't wait!} As I am taking time to soak up this day I am reminded of Psalm 1:1-3 Oh, the joys of those who do not
     follow the advice of the wicked,
     or stand around with sinners,
     or join in with mockers. But they delight in the law of the Lord,
     meditating on it day and night. They are like trees planted along the riverbank,
     bearing fruit each season.
Their leaves never wither,
     and they prosper in all they do. I want to be that tree that is PLANTED by the riverbank…prospering in all I've been called to do…for when we do that, I truly believe we can experience a little taste of heaven on earth! Resting, ~Amy

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I can see the images of what u describe as I read your written words dear friend ...love to u & hugs back from all if us! ; )