Saturday, June 9, 2012

reality

If I had to sum up the last week in 1 word it would be that: REALITY. I've been meditating a lot on that word, especially since Wednesday Night when Jim spoke to all of us about it. 1st he had us name a reality in our life. Then he walked us through Scripture starting in Genesis to Revelation about what realities are in the Bible. I'd already been thinking a lot about reality and after his lesson it almost has {in his words} made my head hurt trying to wrap my brain around realities. One reality I have come face to face with again on this trip is how wrong my thinking has been at times, towards culture, towards people, towards Scripture...this past week has been eye-opening in seeing realities of this place, of people, and of God in a whole new light. Let's face it, we all could say, things are not always what they seem to be...and you really don't know about anything till you have "walked a mile in someone else's shoes." Not that I've even come close to walking 1/10 of a mile in these precious people's shoes...but I do believe God has given me a glimpse of the reality of life here. Jim and Tkay are such a precious couple...I am learning DAILY from their wisdom. They are both feet, both hands, ALL IN in what God has called them to do here. They have been so gracious to invite us into their home and make us feel like it's ours. They are imparting truth and wisdom into my life and sometimes I don't even think they know they're doing it. They have taken time to educate themselves and pass that knowledge of this place on to our team...again, eyes have been opened to the reality of life here in this place. I'm so grateful for them...and feel very blessed to serve with them. The staff at Hannah's has been very gracious to welcome us into their home too. The reality of them is that they truly care for the children. I see it in their faces as they pour out love to the kids and to each other. It's such a blessing to give and receive love from them. One of the staff members seriously had the most contagious laugh ever...makes me smile just thinking about it. Another staff member is shy but always has a smile and can always be seen listening to worship music as she works...she graciously gives and gives. I think I might be putting on some weight due to the reality that one of the staff members is an excellent cook! She made a dish this week that was beets/carrots and 1 other thing I can't remember at the moment served over rice and with MY FAV....MAYONESA! Oh man, I was in heaven with that reality...:) Another staff member may not realize it but she is helping me learn my spanish as I am trying to really listen to her as she talks...who knows, maybe I will be a little more educated in spanish when I get back! The reality of them all is that they are very precious people that love God and are pouring His love out in this place. Some highlights from my week have been our worship/discussion time every morning...to see walls come down {in my own heart and in others} and to literally feel God's presence in this place has been a beautiful thing to witness. We celebrated 2 of the kids and one of our girls birthdays this week...party days are always fun! Homemade pizza!!! {that's always a highlight}...an earthquake...yep, you heard me right...we experienced that reality yesterday morning just 30 minutes before going into discussion time where Dave had already talked about using an earthquake as an illustration in the lesson...{as if God was saying...how 'bout I show you one to make it more real...} it was an eye-opening experience of the power of God. Yesterday our team marched in the parade {something that my church group has been able to do before} and a highlight for me was getting up early to braid the little girls hair before they left for school...this year I actually marched...it's always a great experience, one that leaves a body tired but a heart full...another highlight has been time spent one on one with my team...getting to know the girls and their stories and seeing how experiences in my life have built up for this time and place. A big highlight and reality that I feel like God has opened my eyes to see is that HE IS IN EVERYTHING. Daily I am humbled at how Scripture {HIS WORD} is connecting on so many levels...from Scripture that friends at home are emailing me that connects with our worship songs or our lessons...to listening to a message from Joey that connects with lessons...to hearing a song that speaks the same truth as something I would have read that day or earlier in the week...or how God gives me a Scripture in my quiet time that lines up with something that one of the girls needs to hear...it's been comforting and encouraging to hear His voice and see Him at work. I'm humbled by my God that is so intricately involved of every detail of my life...who am I that He would love me so tenderly. There is so much to think about when I contemplate reality and the greatest reality of all that I am drawn to is the reality of what Christ did for me and for you when He went and stood in the place of blame for us. I'm humbled and overwhelmed and feel very loved and full of hope by that reality. It's what makes me get out of bed every day and know that because of that reality, I can walk with purpose, I can live a full life {not free from trouble or pain...but full in knowing that no matter what, He's got a plan}...that reality is what makes me want to in turn be like Him and give my life away....in that, I have found freedom, I've experienced joy, I drink in the simplicity that it offers and my heart bursts inside because I desire for ALL to know the same reality is true for them too...He cares, He loves, He's in control, He's got a plan, He's relentlessly pursuing each of us...He will make a way...He's full of grace...and one day...HE will come again, just as He said...and the reality {that my heart and mind cannot fathom} of eternal worship at His throne will finally be complete.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, your blogs are such an inspiration to me and I'm sure to several others! I love seeing God using you in so many wonderful ways! What a blessing you have been to the children and the people you are around! I look forward to serving in Peru with you some day! You and the team are in our prayers! I miss you sis!
Michelle,
Your friend and "tooth" gal ; )

Carolyn said...

Ahhhh Homey! U know that right about now I'm longing to be getting on a plane with your gateway team...loving reading your heart as it continues to explode & bloom beautiful flowers that I can smell their perfume through your words... prayers to u

Miss & love u!